Thursday, March 22, 2012

Trail Mix

So, a few friends and I are heading to St. Louis this weekend for a couple of concerts, and I thought it might be interesting to put together a snack for the road. I've never made a trail mix or anything similar, so I did a bit of research online about what kind of ingredients would be good to include.


You can't have a snack mix like this without nuts, and since the only kind of nuts I like (and am not allergic to) is peanuts, that's what I decided on. I chose dry roasted, unsalted peanuts. After all, a couple of the other ingredients have salt, and you don't want too much.

Next is grains. I chose pretzel sticks, cheddar Goldfish® crackers, and granola. I wanted to get whole grain pretzels and Goldfish®, but unfortunately they weren't available in the store I went to.

Next is dried fruit. I decided to try some dried cranberries. I also wanted to try some yogurt-covered raisins, but I was a little put-off by the fat content (7 grams per 2 tablespoons), so I skipped that. However, now that I've tried the dried cranberries, I may yet get some raisins; the cranberries are too tart for my taste, even though they're sweetened.

Then, of course, you want something chocolate, right? I got some dark chocolate M&M's®. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants, and it's supposed to help put you in a better mood.

So, we've got sweet, tart, and salty, crispy, crunchy, and chewy. There's grains, fruit, nuts, a bit of cheese and chocolate. All you do is grab a container and start pouring in the ingredients a little at a time. I used a spoon to gently mix it up and kept adding ingredients until the mixture seemed "right."


Since this was my first time making a snack mix, I really wasn't sure how to go about it. I mean, how do you know what ratio of things is good and what goes together and what doesn't? So this was a complete experiment for me. A bit of a gamble, you might say. At the very least, I like all of the ingredients I chose separately (well, except for the cranberries), so hopefully they're okay together!

Happy trails!

Your Cupcake,

~Jesia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment