Saturday, April 28, 2012

Chicken Alfredo

Are you getting tired of pasta recipes yet? Yeah, like I said, I love pasta. So when I saw this recipe for an easy homemade Alfredo sauce, I had to give it a try. After all, some reviewers claimed that if you added garlic, it was just like Olive Garden®'s, which is delicious.

So here's what you need for the homemade Alfredo sauce:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Garlic, to taste

Yeah, this is by no means a health food. Also, this recipe made quite a bit of sauce, possibly enough for a whole pound of pasta. After all, it is pretty rich and creamy. I'm sure you could cut the recipe in half, or just save any leftover sauce in the fridge.

First off, start melting the butter in a medium sauce pot on medium-low heat (a notch or two above low).


Once the butter is melted, add the heavy whipping cream and combine it well with a whisk. Stir often, and once the mixture starts to get nice and hot, start adding the Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup at a time. In between adding the 1/2 cups of cheese, whisk the mixture and let it have some time to melt and get creamy. Lastly, add some garlic (I used powder, but I'm sure fresh garlic would be much better). Once the sauce is creamy and mixed well, turn off the heat. It will thicken upon standing.


As for the chicken part of this meal, I kind of improvised. I'm not very practiced with preparing chicken. I bought about a pound of boneless chicken breast tenderloins, and my boyfriend, Paul, took care of taking off the skin and chewy, stringy bits and cutting it up into cubes.


You can cook the chicken however you want, of course. I kind of went off another chicken Alfredo recipe for this part. We put a little oil in a hot frying pan and cooked the raw chicken in batches, adding Italian seasoning. (I'm sure some other spices would be great too, like minced onion, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper.) The chicken is done when it's no longer pink inside and out.


Once a batch of chicken is done, set it aside and cook some more, until all of it is done.


Serve the sauce and chicken over fettuccine or whatever pasta you like.


This was pretty tasty and got Paul's seal of approval. I do think that the chicken was a little bland, though, which is why I mentioned several other spices that would probably make it taste better. I'm sure it would also be good grilled or baked as well. I get the feeling that this is one of those recipes that you can improve on with practice and trial and error. =) If you give this a try, let me know how it turns out!

Your Cupcake,

~Jesia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment